I tell a sad story about bird-man Dean Potter, a successful guy. He was accustomed to risk his life jumping from towering cliffs that many people feel fear just by looking, between those people myself.
Dean Potter, however, did not fear death. He risked in several ways. He was happy just thinking about that would jump the edge of a cliff almost three kilometers deep. He knew intimately that no harm would happen to him. After all, how many and how often do it?
Not without reason, therefore, that became an international star of extreme sports.
He loved to use wingsuit, a glider or a jumpsuit with wings, which turned into “bird-man”. Something dangerous, but it gave him pleasure. Sure to be risky required certain precautions. Therefore, Potter always executed the maximum of 80% of its capacity. The other 20% was in the event of an emergency.
The bird-man Dean Potter had fame, money and a girlfriend who he loved very much. She also loved him. He managed everything else wanted and now, at 43, was seriously thinking of getting married. Before that, he was building his house and planning a new film. Anyway, he had new plans and continued with until the last Saturday 16 in the afternoon.
He would jump off a drop-off at the boundary of a canyon, with more than 2,300 meters high, inside Yosemite National Park in California.
He and his friend Graham Hunt, 29, were dressed in a wingsuit. They were going to jump together and it was not the first time I did it, but it would be the last.
The two athletes threw themselves into the cliff with more than two kilometers deep. Everyone expected that hours later would be back to greet friends, talk about adventure and receiving congratulations once again.
They did not return. The next day, a helicopter team tried to talk to them via radio, but did not get answered.
With the certainty that something very bad happened, the team was looking for them and found them: dead!
“Dean was a visionary,” says Cedar Wright, a professional climber from Boulder, Colorado to National Geographic. “He was always one step ahead of what everyone else was doing.”
“He was a person bigger than life,” says Mike Gauthier, the chief of staff in Yosemite National Park.
A curiosity: why does nor the parachute Dean Potter, nor the Graham Hunt was triggered when they jumped off the cliff?